Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Leaving Ireland

    August 29, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Today we are heading to the airport hotel - to make an early getaway tomorrow. First I have to front the B&B owners with the news that I have broken one of their fine bone china cups - they took it well. Woke up with a sore throat - don't want to be sick for the rest of my holidays...

    Our first stop was Westport. I had wanted to stay here but all the rooms were booked or too expensive. We called into the famous Wyatt Hotel, Mary had a local G&T and I had a red breast - had to have one before we left Ireland. Mary suggested we should have one last cup of tea, so we called into a tiny Tea Room. The owner, Andrew Irvine was very interesting - apart from serving tea, he developed smart phone apps. His most famous is the Drive Safe app, which automatically turns the ringer off on your devices when you are driving - it is used world wide and he provides it for free!! Unfortunately not available for iphones, Nevertheless a very keen young man.

    Andrew suggested we take the scenic route to Galway - what a good idea. The roads were great for driving at the start, but then became a little skinny - Mary had her foot through the firewall and a firm grip on her seat all the way - and all muscles tight! After a while we where in mountain and lake country - a most unbelievable part of the world. it reminded us a lot of Scotland.

    When we get home we will have to do some research on the areas of Connemara, Joyces Country and Lar Connaght.

    Traffic was hopeless through Galway - took about 1.5 hours, so we arrived at our hotel at nearly 8pm - a long day.

    Tomorrow up early and on the plane to Venice via Amsterdam.

    Cheers,
    Read more