Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    A day in Venice

    September 1, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    After yesterdays events, it was a slow start today [again]. This apartment is in the heart of Venice, a few yards from St Marks square. It's not the regent queen's style, more of a blokes apartment with heaps of space, 4 rooms, good size bathroom with a usable bath, good air conditioning, the list goes on - very happy. We had a view of the canal and gondolas from our lounge window.

    We started the day with a healthy hotel breakfast and we were off. The hotel asked if we could leave the key at reception, as we did they offered us a free trip to Murano Island and a free demonstration of glass blowing - we said thanks. I guess they thought we were wealthy because we were given our own guide and shown around the 11 show rooms of Murano Glass, each piece well over €1000 - I would say average of €3000 - they did offer free postage on items over €1000! After the guided tour we were offered a look at items in the gift shop ... phew, things we could afford.

    We had a walk around Murano Island, stopped for a beer and wine, then took the free boat home - one of those Italian speed boats - I felt like James Bond or someone from the Italian Job.

    Later in the afternoon we went for a walk - just walk in any direction and see where you end up- is great. It was so hot that I had to buy a hat. Had some gelato - fantastic. We ended up in the Hard Rock cafe - staff were very friendly and so that was most enjoyable.

    Venice is perfect for just wandering around - there is a surprise around every corner - so many shops and while they look a little messy on the outside, inside these shops are like a wonderland. Venice is living up to my expectations.

    Rain is forecast for tomorrow - but that should not affect the shopping.

    Cheers
    Read more