Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Flying to Toronto

    July 8, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today we leave the Rockies to head to the east of Canada. Its a 3 hour flight with a 2 hour time difference - so we leave around midday and get there at 5pm - these are my preferred travelling times.

    First we need to return the hire car. Without sat nav I decide to go towards town [Calgary] on the main road then make one turn to the airport freeway - easy, and it was. No panic for Mary as navigator and chief sign spotter.

    The checkin and security was again over the top. I have never had to completely empty my bags of all electronic devices, cords etc. Anyway we got through even though the nice man sent us down the "Trusted Traveller" lane ??

    Uneventful flight as Canada is dead set flat in the middle - coming up to the lakes was the only thing worth looking out the window to see. We caught the train into Toronto City and then planned to get a taxi to our hotel.

    Beginners mistake. While looking for the taxi rank, Mary was approached by a fast talking driver who offered us a $25 flat fee. On the footpath with loads of bags is not a good spot for a debate so we went along with him. He got us to our hotel easily - I reckon it would have been a $10 fare on his meter.

    The Rex Hotel is a Jazz and Blues club. Run by a mature age gent [Bob] who obviously had been in the hotel business all his life. He was very hospitable to us and helped us settle in easily. Time for a beer and to listen to the 6pm show - no cover charge, the singer, who was very good, came around with a jar - we put $5 in, so generous. We stayed for dinner, a typical pub meal - but my soup, pepper [capsicum] and tomato was first rate.

    We went for a walk through the city to see the lights and to find where we will catch our bus to Niagara tomorrow. Walked through a below ground shopping plaza that went for miles under the city and streets. The neon lights in the city centre were brilliant. Again there were plenty of people sleeping on the streets, not as bad as Vancouver however.

    It was hot and noisy in our room - but we slept okay. The shower was tiny as was the gap for the toilet. Time for a grizzle - why do hotels insist on putting the toilet paper roller behind you? it happens so often and is ridiculous. Rant over.

    Tomorrow we go to Niagara Falls - really looking forward to seeing them.

    Cheers
    Read more