Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Casablanca

    September 23, 2017 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    An early start! Cases outside the door by 7.15, breakfast, then off to the station to catch the 8.20 to Casablanca. Fabulous station building remembered from the Michael Portillo programme. Old fashioned train in compartments for 6 and into Casablanca by just after 12.30pm. Landscape on the way barren but punctuated by irrigated areas of greenery. The 3 major industries are Tourism, Agriculture and Phosphate exportation in that order. Unable to see the mounds of white phosphate as they were obscured by mist but a lot of it is on the way to Casablanca.
    Casablanca is a very modern and smart city with 5 million people. King of Saudi Arabia has his holiday home there and there are lots of very prosperous residences with swimming pools in the way to The Corniche-the promenade really-where we had our lunch at a hotel. Various types of fried fish for all with salad and fruit. We had stopped at the "heart" of the city (Mohammed V Square) with its fantastic fountains, for photos but after lunch went to visit the iconic Hassan II Mosque which is absolutely huge, built over the sea and occupies 9 hectares. We had a comprehensive tour and talk of the mosque and ablutions! Rick's cafe ( not the original!) scene if the film Casablanca was photographed from the bus then it was on to Rabat for a two night stay.
    Read more