Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    A Day in Delhi

    February 22, 2023 in India ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Delhi is now the capital of India. In 1911 the ruling Brits created New Delhi then 40 sq km alongside the original Delhi. Now it all merges into one at 1600 sq kms.

    India has 29 States each with its own parliament but because Delhi is the capital, it is a City State and the control over health, education and transportation is set by the Central Government. There are 23 official languages in India, which are all very different but in Delhi 4 languages (Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu and English) are spoken. English can often be a common language between two Indians. Every Indian starts to learn English in primary school and there are opportunities to learn other languages such as German, French or Mandarin.

    People in Delhi can expect to earn 10x the income of other areas but the cost of living is also much, much more. Public transportation ( buses, taxis, tuk tuks) run on natural gas. Private vehicles can run on petrol and diesel but are tested 3 monthly as to their capacity to pollute and are fined heavily accordingly. Sources of income include tourism, medical tourism, the IT industry. Today India is celebrating 75 years of independence. The Moslems came in the 7th Century, the Moghul dynasties took over 12th to mid 19th C before the Brits took over until 1947.

    Delhi is a city of contrasts. We set off at 8 am to Old Delhi to visit the Jama Masjid Mosque where both men and women had to wear the provided “ cover-ups”. No shoes allowed either. Leaving there we all boarded rickshaws and had a hair raising ride through Chandi Chowk/Silver Street, the old narrow streets, to see the shops gradually opening up to sell their wares. Quite a contrast to New Delhi with bundles of electric wires everywhere, monkeys swinging on the wires and between buildings, rickshaw drivers, moped riders and tuk tuks vying for position, all at breakneck speed ( or so it seemed!) Several beggars and hawkers surrounded the tourists, anxious to get money and sell wares respectively and deals were done.

    Onwards to Humayun’s tomb, a World Heritage Site, erected by his widow. He was a Moghul ruler. Onwards once more to the National Memorial Park to see Ghandi’s cremation site. Other leaders such as Nehru and Indira Ghandi (actually Nehru’s daughter) have also been cremated here. Their ashes then all go into the Ganges.
    Back to the bus and onwards to the carpet outlet where we were given drinks and snacks, which sufficed for lunch whilst we gazed at the truly beautiful silk carpets. Thankfully, though some of the group showed some interest only, one couple bought a small carpet and several some pashmina shawls, which they also sold.

    In contrast to Old Delhi there are some seriously large and very green open parks/ spaces in New Delhi. We saw India Gate ( WW1 and WW2 memorial), various important government and other notable buildings, as well as the present Prime Minister, Mr Modi’s, very impressive gaff and finally completed the tour with a visit to the lovely and peaceful Ghandi “ museum” where he was living and where he was assassinated on 30th January 1948.

    All very enjoyable and interesting but back now to the hotel where main suitcases have to be outside the door by 7pm as we set off again on the train tomorrow at 7 am to Agra. We will be back in this hotel though once more the night before we leave for home.
    Read more