Satellite
  • Day 22

    Taktsang Monastery (Tigers Nest)

    May 22, 2019 in Bhutan ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Tigers Nest is a monastery perched precariously on the edge of a steep cliff 900m straight up and 3,120 metres above sea level, it is widely regarded as one of the most important monuments of spiritual significance in Bhutan. Its history is associated with the visit of Guru Padmasambhava, the revered Indian saint who came to Bhutan in the 8th Century. The cave was named Takshang after Guru Rinpoche who flew into the cave from Kurtoe Singye Dzong in eastern Bhutan while riding on a tigress. When he landed in the cave, he took wrathful form of Guru DorijiDrolo who is regarded as one of the eight manifestations of Guru Rinpoche to decimate the demons.

    We climbed all the way and it took 8 hours return. As we approach the monastery there are 750 steps which we climbed down from the mountain we had ascended and up the mountain to the Monastery. The round trip is 6.5 km along windy rocky trails and steps.

    It was hard work and very rewarding my knee is very sore and swollen but at least I can say I achevied this feat whilst many people even on the trek today could not make it all the way to the top.

    Fit Bit Stats
    21771 steps
    124 Floors
    Read more