Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Toy Train

    May 24, 2019 in India ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Today we are going on a train which runs through the centre of Darjeeling and is quite famous.
    The train has operated on narrow gauge tracks since 1880s and provides an important transport link to various parts of Darjeeling hills and lower plains. The toy train is an icon of India's heritage since the colonial days and an engineering marvel that was achieved in that era. It also offers a wonderful way of absorbing the Himalayan beauty as you traverse along the slopes of the hills.

    Our guide picked us from the Foyer at 8.30am, however, due to the traffic our driver was not there so we had to walk down the dirty dusty smelly streets for a distance until he was able to reach us, I am sure they seem worse than they are because I am in such a negative frame of mind because of the Hotel.

    We arrived at the train station only to then find that the 9.40am train had an issue and would not be running until 10.00am. We thought this was OK as it was quite foggy. At the station we waited until 10.30 for the train and guess what we are seated on the wrong side of the train to see the view over the Himalaya's but it is foggy so you really can not see anything anyway.

    The train ride is really interesting as it goes right up the middle of the narrow streets and in some places you are only inches away from cars, walls and shops. The cars have to stop for the train to cross from side to side of the narrow street.

    The ride goes up the hill to Ghum which is the highest altitude station in the world and returns in 2 hours. It does stop along the way. The first stop is for water as it is a steam train.

    You continue up the hill to a war memorial and gardens where we stay for 10min then continue further up the hill to Ghum for a 20 minute stop which is enough thime to visit a train museum there before we return back to the Darjeeling Station. The ride was fun all be it that the train was dirty, late and on the wrong side for the view. Thank you Mum and Dad for this Christmas present. The ride is something we will remember because it was just so different to other train rides we have done.
    Read more