Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Rumtek Monastery

    May 26, 2019 in India ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Originally built under the direction the 9th Karmapa Lama in the mid-1700s. Rumtek served as the main seat of the Karma Kagyu lineage in Sikkim for some time. When the 16th Karmapa, arrived in Sikkim in 1959 after fleeing Tibet, the monastery was in ruins. Despite being offered other sites, the Karmapa decided to rebuild Rumtek. To him, the site possessed many auspicious qualities and was surrounded by the most favorable attributes. For example, flowing streams, mountains behind, a snow range in front, and a river below. With the generosity and help of the Sikkim royal family and the local folks of Sikkim, it was built by the 16th Karmapa as his main seat in exile.

    After four years, construction of the monastery was completed. The sacred items and relics brought out from Tsurphu Monastery, the Karmapa's seat in Tibet, were installed. On Losar in 1966, the 16th Karmapa officially inaugurated the new seat, called "The Dharmachakra Centre, a place of erudition and spiritual accomplishment, the seat of the glorious Karmapa..

    The monastery is currently the largest in Sikkim and is home to 300 monks and where they perform the rituals and practices of the Karma Kagyu lineage. A golden stupa contains the relics of the 16th Karmapa. Opposite that building is a college, Karma Shri Nalanda Institute for Higher Buddhist Studies.

    Again this monastery was different to other's we have seen, I am still not getting a clear understanding, all the different Lama's are very confusing but everything the guides tell is very interesting.
    Read more