Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Decebalus’

    July 3, 2016 in Romania ⋅ 30 °C

    Decebalus’ rock sculpture is carved on a jagged outcrop of the Danube River near the city of Orsova in Romania. The 131 foot high carving of Decebalus statue is the tallest sculpture in Europe, three times taller than the Colossus of Rhodes and only 6 meters shorter than the Statue of Liberty, but eight meters higher than Rio de Janeiro’s Jesus Christ. The statue of the last Dacian king Decebal, carved inside the massive rocks is located on the most impressive segment of the Danube, in the area of the Iron Gates Natural Park, also known as Cazanele Dunarii/Danube Depressions. Having 55 meters in height and 25 meters in width, the famous rock-hewed face of the Dacian iconic forerunner imposingly stands among mountains as if defying time and keeping a close lookout for potential invaders.

    The idea of this monumental sculpture belonged to the late businessman Losif Constantin Dragan who financed the works that lasted for ten years, during 1994-2004. Twelve climber sculptors have been toiling at the huge sculpture whose cost exceeded USD 1 M. The statue is inspired by the famous sculptures on Rushmore Mountain in USA.
    Read more