Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Beautiful Walk to Los Arcos

    September 7, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Today was great...it was still 24 kms, but it was undulating with gradual inclines, and through spectacular countryside. I have to say that I am relieved, as yesterday when we arrived at the hotel I was so hot and tired, I wondered if this was going to be fun after all. But today we set off with a different mindset - determined not to push too hard - we didn’t think we had been pushing hard - but today we almost sauntered! And also we stopped for a proper lunch - bacon and cheese bocadillo, apple - I don’t think we ate enough yesterday, just picked on a sesame bar....anyway, we are very happy and feel excellent.

    This is quite a mountainous area, there are mountains in the distance in every direction, and so many beautiful little hill towns. I am sorry there no sunflowers now, but there is still a spectacular panorama in every direction. More and more vineyards, with grapes ripening and looking heavy, olive groves, and we saw several fields of asparagus.

    This morning, soon after leaving Estella we passed the Fuente de Vino - the wine fountain for pilgrims...a monastery has a tap in the wall where anyone can get wine - there is also a spigot of water beside it! So even though it was only about 9 am we lined up and had a taste (handy that you can then fill up the bottle with water again). We didn’t do this last time...too intent on reaching the destination, and the morning not exactly a wine drinking time! But we got into the spirit of it today, and it was very drinkable wine! There is a webcam there that shows it all....

    Anyway, here we are in Los Arcos at a very nice hotel (different from last time) and we have a great room on a corner, looking over a square and trees, and close to everything - this is a very small town. And it is so good that dinners are included...we don’t have to think about where to go, and it is like going to a restaurant each night - the food is so good, many choices, and beautifully presented. And we are always so hungry!!
    Read more