Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Now at Santo Domingo de la Calzada

    September 13, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    A really good 23 km walk through countryside that is now more rolling hills, rather than mountains. A few big climbs, but mostly gradual and not too demanding and such lovely scenery that you hardly noticed the effort! At first leaving Nájera there were many vineyards, but as the walk went on we seem to have almost left them behind...there are many fields of wheat stubble, what I think is sunflower stubble, and now there are quite a lot of beets. And always the olive trees. And along the wayside the eternal thistles, dandelions and blackberries.

    We were very lucky today as it was cloudy and cool when we left at 8.10, and the cloud cover lasted until 12.30 which was fantastic as it remained cool. Now it is cloudless and brilliant sun and hot! By 12.30 we were almost here, arrived at the hotel a little after 1.30 I think. A sweet little one star hostal which we stayed at before, very friendly and comfy. We eat tonight at a little restaurant down the street.

    We are now having a beer and will then go to the cathedral which is the famous one with the chickens...according to the legend of the miracle of Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Good restful afternoon.

    The wifi at the hotel is almost non existent. I will post this when I can, and add photos also when wifi is possible.
    Read more