Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Easy walk to Carrión de los Condes

    September 21, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    I say it was an easy walk because we didn’t arrive hot and bothered, and it was 21 kms on a level track. We saw that this walk had 2 alternatives, one just following the road and the other through fields and by the river...we of course opted for the latter, but you had to be a bit observant as both ways had inviting arrows...and many people chose (or accidentally followed) the road which would have been very boring. We happily didn’t make the fatal error and followed a pleasant path through fields and then along the river, in shade, so for the entire morning we were pleasantly cool.

    We turned and joined the road walkers at a little town where there is a famous Templar church, now a national monument, Santa Maria la Blanca, which we looked at and remembered from last time. From there we also had no alternative than to follow the track alongside the road for the last 5 kms into Carrión de Los Condes. We remembered this stage as rather hot and awful, but there was a breeze and we arrived unruffled!! And we knew where to find our beautiful hotel, right through the town and out the other side on the Camino. It was a monastery and is I think the fanciest hotel we stay in the whole way! So we are enjoying the whole experience, at the moment having a drink and a small snack of croquetas as dinner isn’t till 8.
    Read more