Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Easy walk today, into Hospital de Órbigo

    September 29, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    It was only a short walk, 15 kms, today, but we left at 8 am to catch the beautiful cool morning air, as we knew it would be a continuation of the unshaded road from yesterday afternoon. But it is so different in the coolth of morning! It is light at 8, but pre sunrise, so we soon had the magic of the rising glowing pink ball of the sun behind us. And the road which had been endless and rather tedious yesterday took on a very different light...it was dead flat for about 10 kms, and must still be the end of the Maseta, but different from the past week. We now pass by many corn fields, some beets and alfalfa, and a few cows. Tomorrow we will be into the hills on our way to Astorga.

    So we arrived here at Hospital de Órbigo by about 11.30, despite a refreshment stop along the way. We sat at a shaded bench near the famous bridge and ate lunch and wandered round a bit till our room was ready and bags arrived. This long and famous medieval bridge (13th Century, built on an earlier Roman one) we remember well, and our hotel room again looks out over it! Except this time it is a glorious day...our photos from last time were in the rain. So we will have a lovely quiet afternoon reading and relaxing. And the wifi seems good...a relief after the very variable and weak one from yesterday which kept cutting off when everyone was using it. I finally sent photos I wanted to send yesterday and will hope for success with this, plus more photos. This is a lovely little town on the river Órbigo, we even saw people trout fishing as we walked over the bridge, and I see trout features on menus here quite often. And of course it had a hospital for medieval pilgrims.
    Read more