Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Pretty walk to Portomarin

    October 10, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Today was again beautiful - weather and countryside. We walked 24.5 kms, and quite a bit of up and down, but don’t feel too weary!! The worst ascent was out of Sarria first thing...we had to climb up all the stairs, but then the path led us up a lot of uphill after that...then we walked quite high up through gorgeous rural scenery, often along paths shaded by canopies of oak and chestnut trees...just lovely. And there were the usual cows, corn, cabbage patches, lots of vegetable gardens, chooks and roosters crowing.

    We took our time, slow and steady. Stopped at one bar for a Cola Coa (the BEST hot chocolate) and had lunch of bread and cheese and mandarins, that Amr had hunter-gathered yesterday, sitting on a stone wall in the shade.

    Portomarín is a pretty town, set by a river that has been dammed, so it sits perched high up on what was once a river bank, but is now a valley with a little trickle of a river....you have to walk right down to the level of the bridge over the “river” and then climb up steps on the other side to reach the town itself...not what you feel like after walking 24 kms!! But we remembered this, so were prepared. Now at quite a grand hotel - spacious and comfortable AND Amr spotted a laundry as we arrived, so of course he has washed all our dirty clothes again!! Excellent!

    Our Camino family people have been at the last couple of towns, but we haven’t seen them except for Jessica once or twice as we walked. When we stay at different hotels we often are all too busy showering and relaxing etc. to find others, so we may not cross paths till Santiago, which is on Monday!! Our run of perfect weather is destined to end tonight so the prediction says. Tomorrow has showers till about 1 o’clock , but fine after that....so may not be too bad. Then Friday is supposedly cloudy but fine, but 100% rain on Saturday. Then I think OK till Monday and Santiago day. The bad news is that our 5 days of walking to Finisterre after 2 days in Santiago looks like a totally wet week!!! Oh well...may not be pouring every day...but I fear the rainy season is starting. Wifi not fabulous so will send photos separately.
    Read more