Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Lovely sunny day in Santiago

    October 16, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We have had a beautiful rest day. Last night we met with our special friends from the Camino and we all had a drink at the Parador where Janette and Brigitte were staying. Quite a small crowd there, but just 5 of us went together for dinner. Judy and Dorothy were there for drinks, but they didn’t stay to have dinner as they had not long ago walked in and were tired, so we said farewell to them, but knew we were going to the Pilgrim Mass today at midday, so could see them then. So it was Janette, Brigitte, Jessica, and us for dinner, just perfect. Jessica had been recommended a place to eat, starting with P, and she actually found it and it was great...we straight away got a round table for 5 in a corner, and had many shared plates and Alberiño wine. And it was Jessica’s 53rd birthday, so we celebrated that as well. Again more farewells as Janette and Brigitte are leaving today to fly back to Canada. Very wrenching, after all our close times together.

    This morning we woke late, and had great hotel breakfast then went to the office where you can get your Compostela certificate. Morning is a good time to do this as it gets very crowded when pilgrims pour in after midday and go there straight away. After that we went and had coffee and then it was time to go to the cathedral to visit and get a good seat for the Mass, it gets very full and standing room only very early. It was lovely to sit there and feel the atmosphere and look at the great building. It was as always a moving Mass, and today they did swing the incense ball which is so dramatic....we weren’t expecting it as we knew it had happened twice before recently, so that was special. It doesn’t always happen, but it does seem more often than not.

    We saw Jessica at the Mass which was a bonus, so we went and had a little lunch with her. Didn’t see the Canadian sisters there, many,many people so not surprising, so glad we said our farewells last night. After lunch Amr and I had an attempt to get bus tickets to Salamanca but that was too complicated (this is for when we return from Finisterre) so then we went for a beautiful walk in the park just near our hotel. We are so lucky - it is a gorgeous sunny day! We had only seen Santiago in the rain last time, so this was much appreciated...it is a pretty, hilly city...very touristy, or totally centred around the pilgrim business, but still charming. And the food and wine is excellent! In the park we saw a couple of enormous gum trees - and these were normal spreading trees as well as large - all the ones we saw in plantations, and even the wild ones mixed with native trees, were very tall and skinny. So a good day, and tomorrow we start a 5 day new adventure to Finisterre.
    Read more