Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Spectacular walk to Cee

    October 20, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Today was perhaps the most spectacular day of our 41 days of walking! We left our lovely little stone village when just light..8.40, after good breakfast of proper OJ and an excellent coffee...and immediately climbed on to the mountain wilderness, where we remained for all of the 20 kms of today’s walk. It was quite amazing wandering sometimes among trees, now mostly pines and some heather, or across open vast spaces with enormous views across the hills. We passed a bar which was the last place for 13 kms so we bought a bocadillo, a banana and a pain au chocolat which we enjoyed for lunch.

    But basically it was a continuous beautiful walk, a cloudless day (as is also predicted for tomorrow!), and totally perfect. As we got towards the end, we started to glimpse the sea sparkling below (SO far below), and eventually we had to descend to sea level which is always quite strenuous, and a time when very glad to have sticks. We had to keep pausing to take photos...so stunning.

    So now we are established at Cee, which is bigger than the villages of the past few days. It is quite modern and prosperous (rebuilt since the French did a lot of damage when they left early 1800s), but still some old narrow streets. Our hotel room is at the top and has a view over the water, and sun is streaming in...On arrival Amr decided that today was the day to do the final wash (even though we will have our final 14 km walk tomorrow!)...but he was unstoppable and so everything is once again clean!! So when we arrive at Finisterre we can enjoy our time there and not waste time on such things! It is a beautiful afternoon and we are sitting in the sun by the beach, with kindles, and drinking in the scene. The first time we’ve seen sea, sand and seagulls for weeks! Almost 6 pm on a Saturday...this town is not a pilgrim town, I mean not dependent on the pilgrim trade... full of normal people living their lives. All good. I think the wifi at the hotel is pretty weak, as was slow even downloading emails, so if no photos appear, will certainly catch up when possible, as today was so spectacular!
    Read more