Satellite
  • Day 22

    Continuing in La Jolla

    August 20, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Not a huge amount to report this week. Three weeks today since we arrived unbelievably! It has been very humid when walking, but have managed it most days - have to keep ready for the big walking which will start on Monday week!!

    We have had a full house for the last few days. James arrived back on Monday, with Nando - a Panama cousin - now almost 30, but I first met him when I first minded Cami and James in 2009! He is now an architect. He flew back with James who is strictly a minor. So James reoccupied his downstairs room, with Nando on the sofa down there. We moved up to James’ old room upstairs. School started yesterday, so morning chaos waking up and getting off in time! Cami drives James which is handy…their schedules don’t always coincide, specially during Covid, but they do now. And Lisi drove Nando to the airport for return to Panama this morning.

    Trying to remember individual events…yesterday evening we went over to Anita and Brian’s…they were participating in a trivia quiz by zoom. Brian is active in the Cambridge alumni on the west coast here, and it was Oxford/Cambridge teams versus Harvard/Yale. Rather fun, but via zoom it was a bit long and involved, and the questions were rather esoteric as you can imagine…anyway, fun to see. Michael and Lisi were at a dinner…it has been a ResMed board meeting week.

    But that is now over and we embark on quite a social few days. Tonight we go to a concert - a bit like symphony under the stars, except since our last visit San Diego has build a permanent concert shell for these events. Will have photos next time. And today I am bravely having a La Jolla haircut!! Lisi says her hairdresser is very down to earth and will do whatever I want, so here’s hoping…I have to do something - my hair is falling in my eyes, and there are many weeks to go!! Photo will also follow!

    Then tomorrow Ben and Jeannine will come over in the afternoon for a drink, as last chance to see them before we leave. Didn’t properly catch up at Ben’s party so that will be lovely. Then it is a BBQ at the beach club with people we know…also fun.

    Sunday we have a dinner with all of us plus Peter F and Tama!! So will be able to give first hand report! On Tuesday we have a final dinner at a Mexican restaurant- probably won’t have many Mexican meals in France, then we leave on Wednesday.

    I haven’t got photos of Cami and James properly yet…their lives are rather rushed and chaotic, but will definitely get some before we leave. James is as handsome as ever, taller than me and eats like a horse! Mostly meat and rice! Cami is beautiful and also grown - about Lisi’s height I think. Only one rather lovely photo of Lisi and Nico.

    P.S. now back from haircut! Lovely hairdresser, and feel so much better…photo of the new me, plus some photos that I got from Lisi of James and Cami this week, and of James in Panama…AND great shot of Pete and Cathy on Sunday on Pete’s birthday.
    Read more