Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Quiet, lazy day at Gargilesse

    September 13, 2021 in France ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    We have had a lovely lazy day. Very therapeutic I think, though it goes against all instincts to be so idle!! This is a tiny place, so it didn’t take long to explore further than we did yesterday, but the houses and surrounding countryside is really exquisite. We had a bit of a walk after breakfast, discovered where we must walk out tomorrow, as even in small places like this the markings are hard to find among buildings.

    Having established that we walked along the little roads along the Gargilesse river (stream really) and got to where it joins the Creuse. We met a man on the bridge at the confluence who said that the river is very low at the moment because the dam (where we clambered) is under repair and is letting the water flow, so none building up as it usually would. It was very pretty though. And we went into the 12C Romanesque church. Very beautiful and amazing frescoes in the crypt.

    Came back to our room for a bit, and realised that there is nowhere to buy food for lunch today…so we went up to the bar where we had beers on arrival yesterday and had coffee/chocolate and they could offer a croissant! I remembered the muesli bars I have, and so we are quite ready for dinner at the George Sand restaurant tonight!

    This town is so small, but there is a constant flow of people coming through. Tourists I mean. Many retired-aged groups, or individuals, or cyclists and hikers. They appear, wander round, admire and take photos! We sat for a couple of hours on a bench in the place du château and watched the passing parade as we read our kindles. Very peaceful day. Our hotel is also very quiet. On Monday the restaurant is closed, so no passing people wanting lunch, and the whole place closed except for our secret hotel side entrance.

    Tomorrow we walk about 20kms to Crozant, and the walk sounds as if it continues on this gorgeous path of forests and rivers - and lakes - we will stay at the hôtel du Lac…sounds lovely! Hope there’s not too much clambering!
    Read more