Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Crozant - a beautiful walk

    September 14, 2021 in France ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    An absolutely beautiful walk today, though it was quite full on - mainly because it is so humid. It rained in the night, which was perfect for us, and there will supposedly be thunderstorms tonight, but we didn’t walk in rain. But though the temperature maxed at about 24° it was humid from when we started at 9 am, and we walked about 21 kms - supposedly 18, but we had a bit extra to get down to our gorgeous hotel by the lake.

    Will first mention dinner last night at the George Sand hotel in Gargilesse…outside in the garden and just perfect. Pretty busy as the only place to eat on a Monday evening, and there were people in our hotel also that we didn’t know existed! And we even helped an oldish couple, with her very elderly mother, get into the hotel by the secret side entrance that is the only access when the restaurant is closed! They had the key but didn’t know where to go. People are so friendly, and very forgiving of our not perfect French, but we rarely get to speak in English.

    Our lovely hotel man was back this morning at breakfast, and we asked to buy things for lunch as our supplies had run out, and we doubted we’d find a shop along the way. He supplied bread, cheese, jamon (Spanish!) and refused payment, and also refused payment for the washing - said it was a cadeau! How kind…he spoke English and we did a bit of both.

    So we set off, and spent the day walking uphill, usually gently, and downhill, also usually gently except for one time when it was potentially hazardous - our Book said “slippery when wet” - and it was steep and uneven and rocky and wet (it rained last night, but not too heavily)..but we took care - don’t want to spoil the whole adventure with a sprained ankle or worse! And we found ourselves down by the Creuse again, all the time walking through spectacular scenery. Sometimes we were high along the plateau at the top of the banks, and sometimes in the valley. There were signs of camping, boating and fishing round here (we even saw a special place for people in wheelchairs to fish from!!

    We stopped at Éguzon for lunch - a small town but actually alive with a bar and a shop! We had our jamon sandwiches on a picnic table and went to the bar for coffee/chocolate- perfect, and knew we had about 8 kms to go. It was 9 by the time we got here, but it did seem to drag…the last few kms always seem endless when you are nearly there. But it was worth it…we passed the actual town of Crosant which is high above the lake and saw a sign to the Hotel du Lac down to the bridge, a little further on down the hill to the water. On sighting the hotel we hoped we weren’t mistaken as it looked so special - flags, kayaks, boats and people enjoying all this, and hiking…anyway, it was correct and we were expected and our bags were here! So good. We have a lovely room, looking out on the lake.

    Now have washed - ourselves and sweaty clothes - and had a beer. It is starting to rain, and the prediction is for rain on and off for the next week or so. Can’t really complain after 14 days of no rain walking. By the time we reach Limoges on Sunday we will be half way through our walk!!
    Read more