Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    A night at Bazas in a château

    October 4, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    This is the second episode for today, about our walk to Bazas, which turns out to quite a bustling small city. It was cool but lovely when we set off, and immediately found ourselves on a ridge looking over a valley, and quite beautiful. We wound down and found ourselves walking through forests, past a little hamlet with the old church, and finally ending up near a lake. And we have sorted out the nut question Sam!! We saw an orchard of new (to us) trees, and on examination they had clusters of small nuts, and I thought hazelnuts…and this was confirmed by the French couple who we met yet again several times today! So we had the walnuts in great quantity in the Dordogne area, and now hazelnuts. Confusing as the word for walnuts is noix, and hazelnuts are noisettes. I thought noix was a general term for all nuts…very satisfying to sort it out.

    We walked round the gorgeous lake, and up into more forest. Here we encountered more strange shelters/huts that we had noticed before, and also strange ropes hanging from trees with pulleys and crossbars. Then we came upon notices about the hunting season! We had read that it starts on October 1 and ends 20 November, right now…so we hoped we wouldn’t be shot and wondered if we should loudly sing the Marseillaise. The notices warned danger to enter, but all was quiet so we weren’t too worried, and then came across 2 men sitting near one of the shelters, which we realised are disguised as undergrowth where hunters can hide inside and shoot from. And the ropes and pulleys had pigeons tied to them, with blindfolds on. It seems they would be elevated and attract their friends so that they can be shot…all rather brutal, but interesting to see, and we survived! The men were friendly, as is everyone, and let me take a photo. They had quite a few walkers coming through, as we saw 2 other female couples as well as the French one.

    After that excitement it was more mundane - that is to say just the normal countryside along quiet country roads to Bazas. Just an easy 16.5 km walk. I didn’t even feel hot and have postponed my shower till before bed which I prefer. We knew our guesthouse today was called Château St Vincent, but as we approached Bazas along a cycle path we saw a high grand château and of course it turned out to be our place!! Turned into chambres d’hôtes , and we have a very nice room overlooking the expansive front garden.

    It was quite early when we arrived so after Amr showered we went down into the city and found it is quite delightful. With an enormous XIII century cathedral. Walked round, bought some lunch supplies, found a boulangerie for bread tomorrow and had a drink in the square. Now back and will have dinner here in half an hour.. probably not like the restaurant, but am sure will be good.
    Read more