Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 84

    Biarritz revisited and Bayonne

    October 21, 2021 in France ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    We didn’t do much today so there’s not a lot to write…as predicted the weather changed, and it is COLD! Can’t believe that 2 days ago we were hot and even yesterday didn’t even need jackets. We got up leisurely and decided to hop on the bus to Biarritz again, just because it is so easy. So we saw a different place…it was raining on and off, as a cloud would blow over, but not teeming rain. But it was cold and blowy, and the pavement cafes were deserted, the beach empty, except for a few brave swimmers, and no visible tourists wandering the streets.

    We walked round along the waterfront for a bit, but then took shelter in a cafe (inside this time), and read kindles in a semi sheltered spot till it rained again. Very interesting to see the same place so different 2 days apart.

    Came back and had lunch and some downtime in our hotel, then went out for wine and tapas. We went to a place that looked popular, but found (after we ordered and ate) that it was not a good food place. For the first time we found a place that didn’t come up to scratch for food! (Or we are getting picky)! It was edible, but just boring, and I suspect not “house” made…anyway, we went back to our last night’s place and had another glass of wine and one tapa (a goat cheese panna cotta)…and the waitress there remembered us and said she had seen us today in Biarritz!! Her son goes to school there…and she said she likes Biarritz as it’s quieter and calmer than Bayonne (except it can’t be in summer)…but interesting to hear. And amazing that she remembered us…I guess we are a rather odd couple! Only 2 photos..one of the empty beach in Biarritz, where the swell was quite big today, and one rather ghastly one of the goat cheese tonight (the food looks fine, I am the ghastly one)…I am in dire need of a hair cut and am wondering whether to do it in French or wait till Liverpool…who knows how desperate I will be!
    Read more