Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 85

    Last day in Bayonne, and a haircut

    October 22, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Apparently it rained madly during the night…Amr tells me that he had to close the window because of the noise! But it didn’t rain today - just cloudy and cool. So we set off to explore some sections of the city we hadn’t seen, and during that walk I saw a coiffure and decided to have a haircut. Made an appointment to come back at 1400h. Then during our wandering we went to a coffee shop that Amr had spotted that looked as if it took coffee seriously…and it was Amr heaven! The man used a hand grinder and he and Amr discussed brands of grinders - he has a German one and Amr a Japanese one, and he said that Australian baristas were in the finals of the international barista competition in Milan on Sunday! (I had a phenomenal hot chocolate!)…

    Then we decided to go to a wine bar we had seen as we didn’t really feel like lunch, and that also was a success…he gets serious wines and gets them for sale in boxes…he was a serious sommelier, for which you get a special badge (we knew this from our French friend who we know from TapaVino)…anyway, that was fun too, and he said when you have a wine you have food to match and we had some jambon and salad which was just perfect.

    Then I went to my haircut. She was a lovely woman, and we communicated well - she knew a little English, and I knew a little French and we got on very well. I had just got to the time when the long hair which can be fine for a while, suddenly was impossible and I thought I can’t have a week in Paris with a feeling of a permanent bad hair day! So I am very happy and will probably be ready for yet another cut just before our return to Oz!

    Had downtime at hotel. And Amr has meanwhile booked many dinners and concerts for when we are in Paris and London! Very exciting….and you also have to book for the Louvre, Orangerie, d’Orsay etc because of covid, so we are all booked up for culture and eating!! And I think even Rigoletto at Bastille opera! Alarms set for early tomorrow as our TGV leaves at 8.06am. Got an email today from the SNCF (French trains) that the strike will not effect our train! Phew! Hadn’t known about the strike…so back to Paris in the morning. The true end of the walk and Pays Basque.
    Read more