Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Now at Olney, bonding with Gill and Bob

    November 16, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    This morning was a cloudless, bright and perfect London day. We spent the time doing more park walking as it was so glorious! Found ourselves in Kensington Gardens, past Peter Pan, the Albert Memorial and Royal Albert Hall…it was wise to enjoy the sunny morning, as by afternoon it clouded over!

    Our train to Milton Keynes left at 1.45 - only a 35 minute journey - but it was a fast train that left from Euston, so it became quite a “journey”. Gill and Bob were there to meet us, so lovely to see them!! We are again the first Aussies that they have seen since covid. We met them in 2019 in Buxton for a couple of days, and before that where they used to live in Scotland, in the Borders. So this is the first time here in Olney where they moved about a year ago. Lovely little town and we will explore it with them. We are staying in the local pub - The Bull - which is just lovely. Have a fancy room which we forgot to take photo of before we got it all messy, so will try to remember tomorrow if the room gets made up again …(these covid days rooms don’t always get done each day..). We are a walking distance from their place, and are at the moment relaxing before dinner.

    When we arrived we went to their house and had a cup of tea and initial chat, then went back down to check in and unpack and we had a look round and found a bottle shop to get wine. Gill has made a lasagna for tonight - yum - she is a wonderful cook and hostess, and it is good to be staying at the pub as she doesn’t have to be a 24 hour hostess and can have breaks from us! We are however taking a backpack of washing to put through her machine…undies are fine, but hard to wash and dry shirts and skivvies and pants in hotels!

    …well now back from dinner…lovely home cooked dinner. Lovely evening. We will leisurely meet them tomorrow morning after breakfast here…and am sure it will be a hearty English breakfast…there were many diners in the restaurant here…a good sign on a Tuesday night.
    Read more