Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 124

    A day in Chester

    November 30, 2021 in England ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    A lovely day. Woke up to cold, and still light snow lying round. Put on longjohns for the first time and took gloves and hat, as we knew we’d be walking outside round Chester. And it was just as well, my hands ached even in gloves…but we had a gorgeous day. Got the train, about 40 minutes from Liverpool, and arrived soon after 10. No snow in Chester, but it felt almost colder, or maybe it was just because we were exposed.

    Anyway, we walked round the very charming streets, many timbered houses, a beautiful cathedral, city walls round the whole centre - originally a Roman fortress, and was also a busy port. It is on the river Dee. We walked right round the walls, saw the Roman garden and bath ruins, the amphitheater (which is now really chunks of stones), and the huge cathedral. Had to thaw out for refreshments from time to time - for lunch we had a Yorkshire pudding wrap filled with turkey, vegs and cranberry! We got a train back at about 4. It is pitch dark by 4.30 (sunset just before 4), so always feels later than it is.

    Came back and had a nice dinner with Omnia, and watched a great series she had recorded - Professor T…really good. And we have also watched the latest series of Grantchester, and Shetland!! Lots of good British viewing!
    Read more