Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Wednesday in Florence

    October 5, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Today we went to Florence. Got a train - splurged on a Frecciarossa - and sped down to Florence in 37 minutes! It seemed to be 90% in tunnels, and not a train ride watching the countryside (I don’t remember such long tunnels when we went north from Rome to Venice on the same route. Anyway, a perfect way to get to the destination. At first we wandered our way to the duomo which is as gorgeous as ever - it is always amazing to behold - and then walked on to the Piazza della Signoria, located where our favourite gelatoria is, along to the Ponte Vecchio before making our way back to the Uffizi.

    Amr had booked entry to the Uffizzi galleries for 11.45…it was a bit tricky booking online, but it was recommended to streamline entry…but it sounded as if it was a guided tour (which we wouldn’t normally do)..but on arrival at the meeting point it turned out that they “guide” met us and gave us tickets so that we could go straight in and not line up…so very good. We spent several hours there, well organised so that you follow on and don’t miss rooms…lovely old masters, and scatterings of the very famous.

    Once finished with our dose of culture, we had a gelato and went and relaxed at another favourite bar on Piazza de la Republica, had a sandwich and tea/wine and relaxed and enjoyed. It was fairly hot by then - another wonderful cloudless day! Wandered round some more, via Santa Croce, Santa Maria Novella and went back to the station to see about trains back to Bologna.

    This time, with no time constraints, we bought cheap tickets (about a third cost of the Frecciarossa) which took us back in about an hour and a half…regional trains, packed full at that time of day and rather fun…we had to change trains at Prato, and ended back at Bologna at just before 7pm. But it was via lovely Tuscan countryside and not nearly so many tunnels!

    Had a little meal at one of the many restaurants here (yum meatballs and salad). A good day.
    Read more