Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 17

    Back in Rome

    8. oktober 2022, Italia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    After a last walk in Bologna, we had breakfast and went leisurely to the train station. We now know that the very fast trains have secret platforms way underground at Bologna station which we discovered the day we went to Florence. So we zoomed back to Rome, mostly in tunnels till Florence, and then through very pretty countryside (passing Orvieto up on the hill) and got to Rome just after 3pm.

    Went to via Cavour and rang the bell for Audrey’s Roman holidays and no response (a sinking feeling, as we had emailed Giorgio our time of arrival etc)…anyway, all was well, Amr phoned and a minion of Giorgio soon arrived and let us in…there is no actual reception which is why we had told him - and he had asked - exactly when we would be arriving!! So now that we have the keys to all the doors to go through to get to our room we are happy! We have a very nice room - light, spotless and with all that we need, and when we leave on Monday we just leave the keys and close the doors!! Perfect…we will probably never meet Giorgio who also owns other places in Rome, but we are totally independent.

    So we had a walk to stretch after the train, and a drink watching the chaos in Piazza Barberini. It is Saturday, and the whole city is of course so busy. Walking along the Corso was just a sea of people (they turn it into an area pedonale on the weekend), also the Spanish steps area…and there was something on - we think it was a communist or leftist rally as endless numbers of people kept walking by with red t-shirts and banners…all quite friendly and not confrontational!

    Then we have just had dinner at our favourite place for the last time. Have to confess that I wasn’t feeling 100% (a nerve ache in a SI joint area, and general vapours…). Anyway, we enjoyed dinner - I got Amr to eat most of mine which he liked more than his choice, and with fizzy water, wine, a dessert sugar hit and as many pills as seemed useful I hope I will be revived in the morning. Will also do some yoga to stretch the muscles..
    Les mer