Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Now at Triacastela

    May 20, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Woke up in very cold O Cebreiro, a spectacular morning, with the sun rising on the surrounding mountains. Had breakfast - fairly sparse here - toast, ham and cheese, jam, OJ (but not fresh squeezed) and coffee. Then the walkers set off at about 9.45, and I walked with them for a little way, round the mountain side, with spectacular views into the valleys. Then came back, didn’t have to vacate the room till 11, but had taxi booked for 10.30, sharing with another cripple! She was a very nice companion - a Norwegian who had developed a bad hip. Had a very nice taxi driver who got us here by 11, and we halved the cost, which made it much more manageable! Too early to check in, so we sat and had a ColaCao in the warm sun!! Not as cold as up on high!

    Finally checked in, a new place for us…it is an albergue, plus a “boutique pension” which we are in…a separate building, with newly appointed very functional rooms, and a wonderful shower which I have just emerged from…so arriving so early, it was a while to wait till Amr, R and R walked in. I stalked them and found they still had several hours to go. So relaxed, did some Words, and games, and walked back to the 800 year old chestnut tree that you pass as you walk into the town. I was waiting there, and became the photographer for people who wanted photos in front of the chestnut tree! A whole group of cyclists from Valencia posed, and were more amazed that I came from Australia…such a long way to Spain! It is always like this…such a long way everyone always says. So finally my trio emerged along the track, at about 3.20, so a long and quite difficult walk…first there was some serious uphill, and then serious downhill to Triacastela set down in the valley. They had magnificent views all the way, but quite hard work…Amr said it definitely wasn’t a walk for me, which made me feel better, as I do remember it as so beautiful. And a tough one for R and R on their first day of walking…about 22 kms. The photos will give an idea of the beauty.

    So before going to the rooms we all sat down and had drinks and sustenance. Amr his favourite pulpo, and some croquetas. Then shower and downtime for the walkers, I found the supermarket and got Amr his bottle of water con gas…. We met up again at 6.30 and had a wander through this tiny town, then sat and had dinner…so soon after the late “lunch”…we started at a table outside in the delicious sun - can’t believe I am wanting warmth! But when the sun moved (it doesn’t set till almost 10pm) we moved inside, suddenly it was cold again…I have learned not to have the 3 course menu del dia as I just can’t eat it all, so ordered a plate of our fave pimientos de padron, and paella, which is meant to be a first course serving, but still could not finish it all…all happy and satisfied, R and R did a great day’s walking and I think will sleep well. Our place is a complexo- a hotel, albergue and a restaurant where we ate, and where we will have breakfast…the busiest place in town, and the waiters are running non stop! But good service and food…another taxi to Sarria tomorrow as it is Sunday and not good for buses, but I think after that the bus will be the go. And again I will share with the Norwegian woman.
    Read more