Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    We are here in Santiago de Compostela!

    May 28, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We are here!! And I walked in and all is very well. I had been walking so much in the towns, and going to meet the walkers…and from the beginning along the hospital corridors, so on Friday I had my first attempt at walking from Melide to Arzúa - it was a short and easy walk, and I felt just fine…so I continued and walked for the last 3 days. I am not stupid or irresponsible, and would have stopped if I had any signs of problems…but none at all, and I am so happy to have walked just a little! We went at a very relaxed pace, and it was a joy to see the beautiful countryside…

    The wifi tonight is excellent, so can catch up and not worry that it won’t upload…today’s walk was first through more beautiful tree tunnels and forests…and many many eucalyptus trees…it was almost like walking in the Australian bush, with the eucalyptus smell, sort of weird, but the trees are amazingly tall and thin, as they are planted in rows and just seem to grow up not out! After that first very pleasant sector, we went past the Santiago airport, and then along streets, and a bit of industrial area, and outer suburbs till we got into the historic centre and the cathedral. Rain and thunderstorms were predicted for later in the afternoon…we knew we were cutting it fine, but we stopped and had sustenance at several bars along the way, and got to the cathedral at about 4.20, had someone take out photo to prove it, and almost immediately it started to rain…a few drops and then torrential, with thunder and lightning!! R and R wanted to go straight into the cathedral (this was before it actually started raining) but we thought we’d head for the hotel - we are all at the same place this time - and we did, but put on ponchos and made our way through the downpour…very glad to arrive, and unwind in our room.

    Amr Is tomorrow morning going to the post office to send a parcel of stuff we won’t want, including our walking sticks which we can’t carry on to planes, back home. This will be good, to clear our bags and be lighter…so tomorrow we have the day to spend in Santiago and enjoy seeing places we remember and relax. We have just come back from a celebration dinner in a restaurant that is a serious meat place, and it was just wonderful…we thought it was familiar, and when I looked up photos of having dinner here 5 years ago with our camino friends, I could see from the decor it was the same place..! Anyway, off to bed, and we are all very happy.
    Read more