Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Relaxing rest day in Santiago

    May 29, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    A lovely quiet day today. Cool to start, then quite hot and humid, and another thunderstorm predicted for later in the afternoon. First thing after breakfast Amr went with our sticks and other stuff to the big post office nearby. And it was SO efficient! They are geared to do this - we are not the first people to want to ship stuff back home, and they have special boxes for poles, even will ship bicycles.. and print out your name and address so no mistake!! And all completed in 15 minutes, and half an hour later Amr got an email from Australia post saying 2 parcels were on their way to him from Spain!!

    So we spent the morning wandering round the old haunts, went to the pilgrims office to get our Compostela, and went to the 12 noon pilgrim mass. At 11.15 Amr and I were lucky to get seats in the side transept, R and R were standing in the main body …it is a long stand, but so many people, and this happens every day as a new wave of pilgrims arrive! It is always a moving experience, and three times out of three we have experienced the swinging of the botafumeiro, the incense burner, which is so special, and sitting in the side aisle it is the best view, as it swings in that direction…you almost wonder if it will hit you, or the roof, and that is really high!

    Met some of the girls from Albury, one still sick and needing advice, and a drink and tapas. We found the best route to the station, as tomorrow we catch the train at 10.20 to Madrid, and a new adventure! Will include some photos from last night…so delicious! And we have sorted out a place to eat tonight…still no storm, and it’s almost 4.30…hope there’s not a deluge when we set out to eat tonight!

    Just adding that again we had a great dinner, and our farewell dinner with Rachel and Richard…a different restaurant but again amazing…all share dishes and varied and delicious. Have said goodbye to R and R…they leave very early before 6 to get to the airport, and we go to the station to get the train…the end of a lovely pilgrimage with them…very special!….and the thunderstorm never happened!
    Read more