Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Madrid, such a wonderful city

    May 31, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Today we had no time restrictions! We woke and took our time, finally set off and found a bakery nearby with pastries and coffee…perfect. Wandered towards Sol, then I returned to get my kindle as we planned to find a park bench later to have kindle time…then we met up and walked along the road leading to our usual hotel to find the churreria we loved, and it didn’t disappoint..fab churros, coffee, juice…so we were sustained and walked via the opera house, royal palace to the park and sat in the shade with kindles. I wore one of my new sneakers, the ones with purple trim, and am happy to say they were wonderfully comfy, and could walk in them all day…

    We were watching the time as Omnia was arriving at 1.30 we thought, but turned out to be 2.30, so we walked through the Plaza de España and up the Gran Via, a major road with superb apartment buildings, and shops…the architecture here is just wonderful…beautiful, well kept buildings…and in the small streets too. It is sunny and perfect, hot in the direct (and very bright) sun, but very comfortable. We found a Basque tapas bar and restaurant that Amr remembered along the Gran Via, and had a drink and tapas there to keep us going…so lovely. Then had a visit to UniQlo, also along the Gran Via!! I looked and resisted, but Amr bought some shorts!

    I think we then returned to the hotel, as Omnia wasn’t going to be ready till about 5.30, and we all met up then in Puerta del Sol! Lovely reunion, and we walked round the lovely streets, into the Plaza Mayor (which is a very good Plaza Mayor) and through the narrow streets with many eateries. Found our way to Rosi La Loca where we had booked for dinner.

    Rosi La Loca is a crazy place where Amr and I have been several times before…it is over the top in decor, and fabulous food. And you certainly need to book as it is very popular. The only irritating thing was that the menu was only online and in the lower floor where we were you had to go on their wifi as there wasn’t reception otherwise…took ages to get the right password etc…but finally ordered, and had amazing meal. They fuse all food cultures..we had a baba ganouch (I know that is spelt wrongly), salad with mysterious crunchy bits, tataki tuna (very Japanese touch), octopus, chicken balls in a curry sauce, and finished with a version of cheesecake (very soft) with fruit and crunch…all SOOO good! Great day, and I think the Prado tomorrow!
    Read more