Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Thursday in Madrid

    June 1, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    A fairly quiet day…we are winding down, and in a week will be home! We have a breakfast ritual - mandarins and a banana in the room, then finish off with a pastry and coffee at our nearby bakery…lovely! We had decided today would be Prado day..we have been there several times before, but hard to come to Madrid without a visit. We had a longish walk, as we went via Atocha, the main train station to see about trains to Toledo where we plan to go tomorrow…that was a bit fraught as, as usual, they are renovating and parts are closed off or with scaffolding etc…but it is a rather gorgeous station, with a beautiful inside garden…or green house like area…anyway, trains are quite frequent, and we are going, although there are as usual predictions of rain.

    Omnia had calls she had committed to and we couldn’t meet till later in the afternoon, so Amr and I wandered in the Prado, enjoying the art but have to admit that I was getting weary with the slow museum walk! It was fun though, and after we walked back in the direction of Sol and had a drink and sustenance…shared some stuffed peppers which I love, but slightly not quite perfect as they had battered and deep fried them rather than just the naked peppers, but they did have a divine capsicum tasting sauce…

    Soon after that we met Omnia and it started to rain, heavily enough that we, and many others, sheltered in the Apple Store! When it eased we went to a cafe and all had very healthy and yum smoothies and then walked to the UniQlo store where I bought a black cardigan like the green famous one that I lost and then found in Rome! It will be very useful!

    After that we went to the restaurant where Amr and I ate on our first night…lovely tasty dishes, small and shareable! The highlight was a seafood paella which we had eyed before, but needed more than 2 people to share it…it was just delicious, and I forgot to take a photo till it was almost demolished…but you will get the gist. Not many photos, just a peaceful day, and you can’t stop admiring the streets with such beautiful buildings, and the little narrow streets that are so charming, and the beautiful parks.
    Read more