Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Last full day in Spain

    June 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    A much better day! In fact a great day…Have got used to the fact that I don’t have a phone for the moment and it doesn’t get me down any more.. First we had our usual breakfast at the local bakery, then met Omnia at 10.30 and walked via the scenic route to the Reina Sofia museum, which has mostly modern art (most famous being Picasso’s Guernica) and some Salvador Dalis, Kandinsky…and also photography, architectural designs and drafts…it again is a large museum, and after completing one floor Omnia and I declared enough…

    The scenic route we took there was along the beautiful tree line boulevards leading by the Prado and on to Atocha…so lovely walking under the huge trees, and maybe it was because it was Sunday but some seemed to be closed to cars for the day..even better…after the museum we got a table along the street across from Atocha and had a little lunch - bocadillos - just right, then went still by scenic route to the huge park del Buen Retiro…it is huge and beautiful, and on a sunny warm Sunday everyone was out, children playing, boats on the large pond, sitting picnicking under the trees…we found a shady spot under a tree and read…(at least I have my kindle!)..all very pleasant and restful..

    Finally we roused and walked via the crystal palace here …it was built in 1887, and was originally to house some flora from the Phillipines which was then a Spanish colony, and it was part of a fair…it is still intact and beautifully maintained and now is used for modern art exhibitions by the Reina Sofia museum. Then we walked up to plaza Santa Ana, and had a little dinner at an outdoor cafe in the adjacent Plaza San Angel…delicious food, and we discovered that it was an outlet from the very nice hotel in the Plaza (where Cathy once stayed)…no wonder the food was excellent! And not expensive…

    So very happy, we walked back to Sol where we lined up at an Italian gelateria (helado italiano) for a yum ice cream. Now back, and sort of packed…we check out tomorrow, but don’t fly out to Paris till the evening…we don’t leave for Sydney till Wednesday morning, but had allowed an extra day in case of any problems - flight cancellations etc…and would you believe it, France has declared a general strike on Tuesday, so thank goodness we go on Monday…and we have already checked in to the flight, and have boarding passes, so hope all is smooth!!
    Read more