Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Doing what we love doing!

    October 11, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Another beautiful day….cool - 3° - in the morning, but warming up but never hot and sweaty, even climbing uphill. Perfect walking weather. So we set off at 8.15 to have coffee where we had dinner last night, as the coffee at the lodge not good…and the cafe right beside the water taxi place…had the best coffee so far in NZ, and will have it there tomorrow morning too.

    The water taxi took us way up north to Totaranui, about an hour or more, dropping various people off etc, and we were headed for Wainui Bay, the last northern segment of the Abel Tasman track. Carole and John had decided that they would just do a short distance and turn back and get the water taxi back in the afternoon on its next run…I think John has finally admitted that he can’t walk easily thank goodness, and they had a good day, and have plans to modify the next 2 walking days. Perfect for all!

    So after about an hour when we arrived at the first beach for the day we said farewell and Amr and I set off for the rest of the day. It was glorious, but I still wonder why I ever heard it was an easy track, as we spent all day ascending from the beaches, which today were part of the track (unlike yesterday when they were optional side tracks), then walking along the shoulder of the coastline till we descended to the next beach. But it was all made worthwhile because of the stunning views and perfect weather, and I’m happy to say that at the end of the day I don’t have any stiffness, sore joints or any aches and pains!! In fact my only complaint is an acute attack of hay fever which has kept me twitching and snuffling all day…the NZ spring pollens I guess.

    We walked about 17 kms of fairly demanding walking, and were picked up by Sarah who was our shuttle person from Nelson to here (and she will transfer us back to Nelson on Saturday I believe). Such a welcome sight to see her van waiting for us! The ride back to Marahau was almost 2 hours!! It is all national park and we had to go right round the edge and up a very high and windy road and down the other side…not easy.

    So altogether a wonderful day…we feel very exhilarated. Went to dinner with C and J at the same place as last night as it was the only one open, and tonight to our amazement we didn’t have to wait for ages, our delicious food came quickly (it was delicious last night too, but such a long wait!) and all were happy!
    Read more