Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Hard walking, beautiful vistas

    October 12, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    We are now resigned to the fact that this track is a demanding bush walk! And we worked very hard today, climbing up headlands and down again and continuing…the saving grace of course is the amazing and stunning scenery, and the perfect weather. Today our water taxi ride took us to Torrent Bay, near where we walked from going south on the first day back to our lodging, but today we headed north and walked to our new lodging, the Awaroa Lodge. This is another very nice accommodation set in the wilderness…we have wifi, but no phone reception.

    My watch says that I walked 21 kms, which includes walking down to the water taxi etc, but the actual walk was quite long…(officially about 14 kms or so I think). Carole and John got another water taxi that took them to a beach a shortish distance from our new home, and waited and relaxed there till we turned up! A good arrangement, but we had crossed wires about the beach as they had mentioned Tonga beach, which when we got there was a delightful tiny place but deserted…we were happy to wait for a while in case they appeared as we had been working hard …got there about 2.40 and waited till 3, then set off again, climbed another huge ascent, and down to the next beach which was bigger, with campsites etc, and people here and there…and of course that was where C and J were waiting…that was the water taxi stop, not the other tiny one which made sense…anyway, all was well and we set off together for the final leg to our lodging!

    And fortunately this last hill and descent was the kindest of the day, so no problem for C and J, and we walked to our new home, where we stay for 2 nights. All meals included here, and we are just back from lovely dinner, and have eyed out what we may have tomorrow! The walk tomorrow is from a stop further north back to here, not all that far, and with many optional extra side walks…at the moment I think we will just do the basic part and relax!!

    Will put up some of the pictures from today…they are repetitive of crystal clear turquoise water through trees and pristine beaches! But just amazing when you are walking through it and encounter these treats…
    Read more