Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Back to Nelson

    October 14, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    A dramatically different day! We woke up to see it was raining, our perfect weather had ended. It rained hard during breakfast, so glad we weren’t setting out to walk! We all packed up and were ready to get the water taxi at 10.30. Our bags were to be taken for us, and we set off for the taxi point soon after 10, and as we walked there - 5 mins walk - we realised there was an enormous gale - the Lodge was in a sheltered spot, protected by trees, and we walked into the real world! Arriving at the ramp down to the beach, there were waves breaking and rolling in, I had to grip my phone really firmly to take a photo so as not to drop it…we wondered how on earth we would board the water taxi. The guy bringing our bags in a little golf cart thing came, took one look and drove away…we waited in the gale and our boat appeared and signalled for us to go to the other end of the beach and round a corner where it was more sheltered! So we hot-tailed it along the soft sand, against the wind - our exercise for the day!! Took ages as was quite a long way and finally and thankfully embarked (and our bags also were driven along another path) and we were on our way back to Marahau.

    But that wasn’t the end of it! The journey was like a lunar park ride…we bounced and bumped up and down the waves, picked up other people and dropped off bags etc…it wasn’t actually scary as the boats are very tough and the skippers are used to this weather which typically happens…but for us it was such a contrast to the perfect tranquil waters we had seen yesterday as we walked and Carole and John kayaked. So quite an adventure!

    Arrived at Marahau a little after midday, and Sarah who has shuttled us round before was there waiting to take us back to Nelson. First C and J were dropped off at the airport - fond farewell, we so enjoy our encounters in so many parts of the world - and then Amr and I were dropped back at the hotel in Nelson where we stayed before.

    Just back from a lovely dinner at Urban Oyster Bar, a place that C and J had recommended. Just right light yum dishes (not just oysters!)…very satisfied and tomorrow we take a bus to Picton where we get the ferry to Wellington. They say the gale will be stronger tomorrow! But the huge inter island ferries will not be worried. With the total change in weather the temperature of course has dropped, and today we wore fleece jackets and a scarf tonight. I love the cool, and it always is cold at night, but now it’s day too! Not many photos - tried for the wild seas, but couldn’t take any during the boat journey, too busy holding on! Some of dinner!
    Read more