Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Travel day - to Wellington

    October 15, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 11 °C

    A lack of exercise day as first we had a 2 and a bit hour bus trip from Nelson to Picton, arriving just after noon, then at 2.15 we left in the huge ferry for the 3.5 hour trip to Wellington. All easy and smooth. Grey and cold when we left Nelson, which turned windy and rainy on and off, and very cold, very windy and squally rain at Picton! The bus ride was through rolling hills, a very winding road and at the end through many vineyards in the Marlborough area. Pretty countryside.

    Had time for a little bite to eat at Picton - found a tapas bar, just right, then made our way to board. Such a huge ferry, even though the sea looked extremely choppy it just sailed on through without any noticeable rock and roll! So very pleasant and comfortable - we didn’t go outside on deck - I don’t think they were allowing people to anyway because of the weather conditions, so we sat in the comfortable seats with wifi happy as clams.

    Rae and Jim were there to meet us which was wonderful…they live in Waikanae which is about 45 mins drive north of the city, in a more sheltered climate and near the beach. It was about 7 when we got there so we chatted and had dinner and will see round tomorrow. Off to bed, just a quick account of the day.
    Read more