Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Now in Barcelona

    April 27 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    ..and the Spanish adventures begin. slightly sad to leave France, as I feel much more comfortable speaking French, and we love being there, but exciting to arrive here, and Amr always rises to the occasion and is the spokesman, and does so well in being understood and understanding!

    Anyway, our day started by filling in time till the train at 4.28pm…we had a late checkout, so didn’t have to vacate till 2 which was nice, and we wandered about, and went to an area fairly near us, called Antigone, which is a whole district, 37 hectares Wikipedia tells me, which has been built in neo-classical style, and started in the 1970s…it is so unusual, and nice to walk through…there is a big walkway down the middle, like the champs élysées...so we wiled away the day, and then waited in the station, that process when everyone watches the board to find the platform for the train…ours was an AVE (Spanish TGV) and had started in Lyon, arrived and left exactly on time, and was totally full, as this is Friday and I guess everyone is going somewhere for the weekend.

    Easy 3 hour journey and we arrived about 7.30…Barcelona much more comfortable temperature, we actually feel just right here. Montpellier continued to feel cold, even though that very strong had died down for the last couple of days. So after sitting in the train we decided to walk to the hotel…about 4 kms…it was daylight and our legs needed it!! The walking was good, and we love the wide boulevards of Barcelona and the great buildings, but finding the right road was the only anxiety, and really it was just a straight line basically…but Google kept changing its little tweaks…but we found the hotel, where we had stayed before in 2017, and have a great room with a view of the Sagrada Familia.

    Had a baguette on the train, but went out for a wine and tapas to unwind in a little place just opposite, and now relaxed!
    Read more