Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 18

    Saturday in Barcelona

    27 de abril, Espanha ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    You can’t help loving Barcelona! I must say I wasn’t keen on being in a big city just yet, but the beautiful buildings, wide leafy boulevards just blow you away. Got up leisurely and found a lovely patisserie to have breakfast - a large glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, a yum pastry and a cup of probably the best coffee so far this trip! We will go there tomorrow (hope they’re open on Sundays).

    Then we walked off, no special destination, but went down the road that leads to the arc de triomf, walked in the park there, then went across through the old medieval narrow streets, and visited the cathedral (not Sagrada Familia). Had a wonderful visit…it is a magnificent building, and our ticket allowed entry to the cloisters and up to the rooftop. We can never resist the views from high place, and it was fabulous!

    After that we walked across to La Rambla and joined the crowds there, by this time getting to midday. Went just about down to the sea front, and then back into the markets which were incredibly buzzing and fun, and I felt totally carefree with nothing in my pockets except a tissue, lip balm and the hotel key! Nothing to pick. We sat at one of the stalls and had our favourite pimientos de padron and some grilled asparagus with bread…perfect, and glad we did as found out the market is closed Sundays.

    This is the first day for a while that I haven’t felt just a bit uncomfortably cold….in fact we both rather wished we could have shed a layer. It was just right, and the possible rain showers never eventuated, or so far anyway. As we walked we kept admiring the fabulous buildings and wide streets…varied apartment buildings, fancy balconies, so lovely to walk along. Stopped for a coffee and a ColaCao!! Back in the land of ColaCao - if you ask for a chocolat here they think you want the thick chocolate that you dip churros in - and it’s usually not available anyway…only at churros time.

    After a little downtime and drawing of breath, we set out again, and decided to walk back to the market as we wanted to eat at a Basque restaurant we had loved before, and tomorrow wasn’t possible. On the way Amr spotted an interesting entrance all lit up, and we found ourselves in a rather upmarket, and very hip and happening, area of bars and tapas..el Nacional…so we with a bit of difficulty found 2 seats and had a glass of wine and one small tapa and enjoyed the vibe!

    Made our way to the still busy market and had dinner (really more tapas, true dining doesn’t start here till well after 8)…and we’re a little let down, it was good but the Basque-ness seems to have gone…maybe taken over by non Basques…and now back, walking through the milling throngs…I will be happy to be back in small villages and towns after Monday! But we are having fun, and have another whole day here. I have to add that our rambling today added up to 20 kms!
    Leia mais