Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 25

    At Carrion de los Condes

    4 mai, Espagne ⋅ 🌬 18 °C

    After climbing out of the enormous bed in last night’s hotel (I’m sure it could easily sleep 4!), we set out at about 8.30. And we are now staying at probably the best hotel of the trip tonight (though León will be similar), the hotel Monasterio San Zoilo, an ex monastery and almost like a parador. We’ve been here twice before and so were anticipating a lovely stay. All the hotels have been good, and very varied, but a few stand out.

    It was a fairly easy walk, 20 kms and flat, and we took the more scenic route through the fields and by a river, the alternative being a track beside the road for 15 kms. And it was warmer today, with all the layers on it became almost too many, and just before we arrived Rach and I shed a layer…that just means comfortable….we weren’t shivering for ages afterwards like we were 2 days ago! But it was windy, and we arrived very windswept….but no rain! We are so lucky…

    So despite being fairly flat it was very pleasant and brilliant green countryside, and many birds twittering and Rachel has an app that identifies birdsong! Such fun, we often hear nightingales which I’ve never consciously heard before, also cuckoos, warblers, and today the way was dotted with beautifully flowering tamarisks.

    A highlight of this segment is a visit to a wonderful church - Santa Maria de la Blanca - a Templar church in a small town, Villalcazar de Sirga, about 5 kms before arriving at Carrion. It is a magnificent building and we enjoyed seeing it again…it closes for the afternoon at 1pm, so there is always that deadline as you walk, but we were in good time…

    Had a beer and some croquetas in the bar here before we even checked in. Now relaxing and unwinding. Amr soaked his feet in the bidet just because he could…he is very proud of all the hat comments! We have dinner here at 8 or so and should be good.
    En savoir plus