Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Closing the U.K. Rings

    June 3, 2023 in England ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    5,200km by road and 350km by foot - its been quite the journey.

    Summer seems to have finally settled on England, with today being warm and sunny.
    We packed up at Cambridge, loaded the car and then bussed back into Cambridge to finish our audio walking tour before returning late morning to commence our drive back to Heathrow where we started 5 weeks ago.
    Once again, a slight diversion was made to satisfy Loss’ particular interests - this time in the field of aviation.
    We drove to the Royal Airforce Museum, London which is quite near Heathrow and spent an hour or so going through 6 hangars of aviation history - from pre WW1 to the Cold War days. I had to agree with Loss that it was the finest collection of aircraft and other related items we had ever seen and it was difficult to drag her away as she was so interested in every aspect of the displays ;)

    By late afternoon we had navigated to the Sofitel at Terminal 5, Heathrow and checked in. I left Loss there to get things organised while I drove around the perimeter of Heathrow to return the hire car, then bus and tube it back to the hotel. These things always take longer than you would hope, but on the bright side I had just enough credit left on my ‘Oyster Card’ to complete the journey back to the Sofitel without having to top up.
    Final reflections on the UK over dinner brought back some great memories of amazing experiences and it was impossible to settle on a single, favourite experience.

    A 7.20am flight to Reykjavik in the morning means a pretty early start even though we are staying adjacent to the terminal.
    Thank you UK for a wonderful 5 weeks and we are very thankful we have been given care, protection and health during this whole time.
    Read more