Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Reverting to a more Glacial pace

    June 6, 2023 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Yesterday’s gruelling program meant that we did actually have the luxury of having a very lazy start to the day and were able to enjoy the beautiful facilities at the Glacier Lagoon hotel.
    After some calls home and breakfast we headed 20 minutes up the road to ‘Diamond Beach’.
    Loss rather liked the sound of this place when I had previously mentioned it and I had promised that you could actually pick up ‘diamonds’ that were just lying on the sand.
    ‘Diamond Beach’ is a volcanic black sand beach so named because the chunks of ice that have calved from the nearby glacier run out to the sea and then get washed back up along the shore making it look like the beach is littered with sparkling diamonds of all shapes and sizes. Although the reality wasn’t quite what she had been secretly hoping for, it was a unique spectacle.

    Just a few hundred metres away was our meeting point for our main activity of today - a Zodiac ride out into Jokulsaron lake to experience the beauty of the glacier that calves directly into the lake. The ice floes that float in the lake make for an amazingly beautiful scene - and we had a picture perfect day to go with it as well.
    Our skipper and guide Marcus was very knowledgeable and witty and a really enjoyable 1.5 hours were spent out on the lake. We got up very close (well as close as is safe) to the glacial face. Although we could hear the sounds of the glacier groaning and cracking, we didn’t witness any of the face calving off - however late in the trip we did see one of the icebergs nearby in the lake shed a sizeable chunk from below the surface and shoot up to the surface.

    The magical hues of blue and white, harbour seals swimming and basking on their own little floes, and the thrill of running at high speed through the ice field hearing the occasional bump agains the fibreglass hull made for an unforgettable experience.
    The beauty and splendour of creation never ceases to amaze.

    At 2.45pm we drove off to continue our anticlockwise circumnavigation. The coastline and mountains were ever changing and never dull - and all accomplished in the luxury of a car that could actually hold its speed on a hill, had a functional cruise control AND Apple CarPlay. Bliss!

    After a fuel and grocery stop at Djupivogur we continued 20 minutes up the first of the fjords on the eastern side of the island to Lindabrekka - an idyllic little cabin perched between a volcano and the end of the fiord.
    And we arrived there at the very respectable time of 6.30pm!
    After dinner we are off for a post prandial stroll in the beautiful evening - there’s a ‘foss’ nearby to take a closer look at.
    Read more