Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Do you want fries with that?

    April 9 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 38 °C

    The weather has been stuck on ‘repeat’ every day. But the dynamics of the group is progressing steadily which is so pleasing to see.
    The students have settled into their lessons and seem keen enough.
    Probably the most pleasing thing for me personally this morning was to have one-on-one instruction (well, with the help of Ebenezer and Sis Ang as tag-team interpreters) with Somchai who is keen for baptism.
    He has been diligent with his study and we are almost at the conclusion of his instruction notes - just dealing with ‘what happens after baptism questions’ now.
    Another session or two and we might have some pleasing news to share.
    Somchai and our grandchildren had a great time together when they were here a couple of months ago. Somchai and I were ‘chatting’ via Google translate at breakfast this morning and I was showing him some recent photos of Willow, Hugo and Luella. He looked at the pics on my screen, paused for a moment then typed in …. ‘I miss them’. 🥲
    The heat of the day after lunch was spent doing some prep work, with some of the group playing a card game facilitated by Jake and others pursuing similar non- strenuous activities.
    At 4.30 we loaded up those who were interested and headed in to the local markets for a bit of a wander.
    As is always the case in such markets, there were some unusual sights and smells. Some of the food on offer was delicious and incredibly cheap (eg a full sized mango smoothie for $1.25) but we passed on the unrefidgerated seafood and the fried chicken and pig intestines.
    Dinner was ‘takeaway’ satay chicken and rice from a local cafe - feeding 21 of us for the grand total of $29.
    The evening activity was centred on the David and Goliath story. A talk, video then constructing some fully functional slings of a Biblical design using some modern materials such as drinking straws and yarn.
    Let’s hope that the copious amounts of available blue metal in the carpark are not mistaken for ‘smooth stones!’
    However, Ebenezer seems quite keen to try his sling out as a new means of acquiring the pigeons he has been capturing and cooking up for himself(!). We have laid down strict rules about him using his own pots and pans etc - and not the general use utensils😳
    Finally, a little social time for everyone, and the interaction and friendliness among the group has continued really well.
    Read more