Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Marrakech meandering

    March 3, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    From our riad in the centre of town, we decided to walk the north of the city today. We headed through the maze of alleys to the main square, Jamaa el Fna, firstly in search of an ATM. It was a popular choice, as the queue at the main bank was lengthy - fortunately Mr Google told me there was another one in the next street, so we went there and were cashed up quickly.

    First stop was the 12th century Koutoubia Mosque, whose minaret is the most visible landmark of the city.

    We visited Cyber Park, a tranquil garden with an odd technology theme, before continuing into the suburbs. The streets were just as busy, but this was full of locals, not tourists. We had lunch at a small cafe and wandered the souks, who sell a large array of traditional textiles, pottery and jewelry, as well as the usual tourist trinkets.

    We came back to the city via a number of caches (they're mostly in market stalls and shops so they don't go missing, so you have to ask for them... but it certainly breaks the ice with the shopkeeper 😁).

    Dinner was a Dabachi Sandwich, a street food mixture of meats, cheese, egg and spices, barbequed together and served in a pocket bread.

    We then wandered Jamaa el Fna Square, which certainly comes alive after dark with endless food and drink choices, stalls selling everything from clothes to carpets, souvenir sellers, snake charmers and sideshow games.
    Read more