Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Rock the Kasbah

    March 4, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Today's destination was the Kasbah of Marrakesh, a large walled district in the southern part of the city, which historically served as the citadel and royal palace of the city.

    We began with a visit to the adjoining Jewish quarter, but were unable to visit the Jewish cemetery as it was closed for their sabbath.

    The surrounding streets were residential with few people around, but we did stumble upon a community bakery where the locals bring their prepared loaves to bake. The bakers invited us in and gave us a sample straight from the oven.

    Lunch was at a local eatery near Place de Ferblantiers, a palm fringed square with many tin and glass artisans, and heaps of tourists.

    We bypassed the Bahia Palace as we'll be going there as part of our tour, but did visit the Saadien's Tombs, a complex of simple mausoleums and tombs, containing the remains of royalty dating back to the 1550s.

    After a snack at a rooftop cafe, we walked back to our accommodation via the now busy laneways of the medina.

    Dinner was a couscous tagine each, at a local Berber street cafe.
    Read more