Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Kerosene Creek

    March 29 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    I had a run around the Blue Lake this morning. First part was road and then scrambling about to get to the high water path, but then rewarded by winding through redwoods and tree ferns. The light through the leaves of the tree ferns was really beautiful. Once we'd packed up the camper, we headed down to Kerosene Creek, a hot stream and falls about 45mins from the Blue Lake. Rosie and Poppy loved it and Rosie didn't want to get out! Lots of other people there too, and lots of families. Really cool to see people enjoying the geothermal features without having to pay for it.
    We booked a campsite for tonight as it's Easter holidays and there aren't many freedom camping spots near where we want to stop. It was a 2.5hr drive and luckily the girls slept for most of it and were happily playing with each other and chatting to us when they were awake. Passed the huge Lake Taupo and some stunning snowy volcanoes at Tongariro National Park. Nice to see some mountains :) But prior to that, fields and fields of tree stumps and forestry - not so scenic and sad to think how beautiful it would have been before Europeans came along.
    Poppy was very happy to lie on her back on the bed and wiggle about when we arrived at the campsite. I put her on her front for some tummy time but she rolled over straight away!
    Rosie had a ride in the trike when we arrived at the campsite which was fun. When I was driving she said my driving was really funny though - how rude!
    Poppy ate lots at dinner and enjoyed munching through a pepper.
    Then at bedtime whilst reading Mr Bump she said Daddy is Mr Tickle, Mummy is Mr Bump and we decided that she's Mr Nonsense. I think Poppy would be Mr Happy.
    Read more