Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Otaki Beach

    March 30 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Drove south ready to go on the ferry to the south island tomorrow, from Wellington to Picton.
    Visited 'Carrotland' before we left Ohakune - an adventureland with loads of play stuff for kids as well as huge vegetable statues including a carrot race car and a carrot rocket! They even had a pump track. All free to use and looks like they fundraised for the whole project and got donations from the community and business sponsors. (The area is famous for growing vegetables hence the theme).
    Rosie did so well on her bike and rode a long way there and back to the cafe.
    Poppy slept the whole time and even whilst Matt went back to the van to pack everything up.
    3hr drive today and the girls did really well again in the back. Poppy slept and played with Rosie and Rosie only needed some company from me at the end. Beautiful colours on some of the trees as they turn for autumn. Nice mountain and gorge views too, but mostly lots of fields.

    Found a cool freedom camping spot right on the beach and river. Lots of other campers and people fishing off the shore. Matt caught several Kahawai. Pretty big fish! Baked one for dinner tonight and we have another for tomorrow - yummy!
    Read more