Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Kia Ora South Island!

    March 31 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Aaaand we're here!
    Arrived at the South Island on the Interislander ferry late afternoon on Sunday.
    Started the morning with a quick sunrise ride on Rosie's bike - didn't last too long as it was too gravelly, but she did really well!
    1hr drive from our campsite to Wellington. Had a quick walk through the Botanic gardens in Wellington and a play in their park. Poppy loved the rocker with Rosie and was making happy/excited noises on the big swing.
    Interislander ferry was much like a smaller version of the Brittany ferry. Realised in the queue that Rosie hadn't been on a big ferry like that where you drive on, so explained what would happen. She seemed really excited all morning.
    Some nice views coming out of Wellington and then stunning scenery coming through Marlborough Sounds into Picton on the south island. Seems to be a lot more natural forest here.
    Camped up at Momorangi Bay, just 25mins from Picton. Rosie fell asleep in the van and woke up all confused and upset as it was dinner time.
    Matt cooked us the fish he caught with some pasta which was delicious. Chatted to some of our camping neighbours who seem very friendly, and took Rosie to the beach side play park after dinner.
    And after the girls went to bed we (separately) did the forest glow worm walk above the campsite. Spot the glowworms in the photo! The different ferns were beautiful too.
    Read more