Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Change of plan...

    April 10 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Finding out that Highway 6 to Fox Glacier was closed because of a slip meant a change of plans first thing this morning. Luckily we weren't too far away from Arthur's Pass which crosses the mountains between the west and east coasts.
    Had some stunning views of mountains and waterfalls at the top of Arthur's Pass National Park, despite lots of rain!
    There was also an impressive water shoot over the top of the road which was creating a huge constructed waterfall.
    Stopped off for lunch in Arthur's Pass village. Too rainy to do any walking there but luckily the weather cleared just as we reached Cave Stream reserve. Beautiful views of the clouds and valleys there. And really enjoyed seeing the wildflowers too, including pink and purple lupins.
    I think Matt most enjoyed winding me up about going into the cave itself as you have to walk through a river upstream. We just went to the entrance to have a look thankfully!
    Arrived at our campsite at Mount Somers around 4pm. Lovely campsite with pretty and homely feeling gardens and views of the mountains. Rosie enjoyed playing some table football and table tennis before dinner.
    Both the girls still have a cold but don't have temperatures now which is good. Poppy has spent a lot of the day asleep but is back to smiling again now :) when she is poorly and not smiling it makes you realise how smiley and cheerful she is normally!
    Read more