Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 85

    Raglan 🌊

    2. maj, New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Had a great visit to Waitomo Glowworm Caves. The limestone caves were carved out by an underground river. There were some cool stalactites and stalagmites, and a large chamber room called the Cathedral. The tour guide was very funny, so when he said the acoustics in the Cathedral were perfect for performances, and he was going to sing to demonstrate we thought he was joking. But he wasn't. Luckily he had a great voice and his rendition of the national anthem in Maori was very calming.
    The boat trip along the cave's river in the dark with glowworms dotted across the ceiling like a sky full of stars, was beautiful. Rosie and Poppy did well to stay quiet during that bit as (we'd all been asked to be silent and it did make the experience very special).
    We then made our way to Raglan, and decided to spend 3 nights here as there is plenty to do. The campsite is cool as it's by the beach, an awesome skate park, pump track and play park and next to the town which has loads of nice cafes and restaurants.
    Matt hired a longboard so he could go for a surf (Raglan is a famous surf spot if you're a non surfer like me and didn't know!). Rosie, Poppy and I played on the grass overlooking the wave and having some lunch. Rosie loved shouting "go daddy go" and "put your neck into it!".
    I went for a run one morning along the beach which was really nice. And we went for dinner at a fab japanese restaurant which felt more like a Jamaican restaurant in vibe! Rosie made friends with the little girl on the table next to us and she even gave Rosie one of her mochi which was very sweet.
    Matt tried another surf this morning but it was very busy (it's a Saturday). Rosie, Poppy and I had a lovely time hanging out. Rosie showed me how she can ride around the pump track. She's getting so good on her bike! And Poppy was very happy having a snack whilst we had a coffee.
    We all went to a different local beach in the afternoon to do some fishing. No luck there but the girls had a nice time playing on the beach. I picked some shells for Rosie from my walk with Poppy on the beach and she took each one and announced "beautiful!".
    Pizza on the beach for dinner this evening whilst watching the sunset.
    All in all we've had a really nice time in Raglan :)
    On to Auckland tomorrow via Hamilton gardens.
    Læs mere