Satellite
  • Day 147

    Early morning Lake Matheson

    February 9, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Early start this morning to try and catch the reflections in Lake Matheson before the wind picks up. A much clearer sky this morning so we can see the peaks of Tasman and Cook clearer too. It was much quieter this early, although clearly some others had the same idea. The walk to the island lookout was longer than I remembered and so we were walking a good 40 mins before we got to it....a tiring way to start the day when you havent even eaten. It was beautiful though, lovely golden light in the rainforest and the Lake had hues of pinks and oranges on it from the sky. We weren't lucky enough to catch a completely still lake but the effect was still pretty amazing, the photos do a good job of summing it up.
    After this it was time to head back to camp for a much needed shower before kickout.
    The showers unfortunately didn't smell great, despite looking new, and I was gutted when after less than a day of owning it, my greenstone necklace got caught in my clothes snd fell off the hook, splitting into two on the floor. Safe to say I was quite upset. After some consoling from Rob we packed up the camper and decided to have breakfast at a cafe. French toast for Rob and hash browns and sausages for me. They do not know how to make sausages here which is a little upsetting when you want some resemblance to a full English but it was better than peanut butter and jam! Next stop, Wanaka via the Haast Pass.
    Read more